Once again, we are proud to show a truly outstanding selection of layouts.
Benfieldside (EM Gauge)
Tim Surrell & Justin Tyrwhitt
Originally built by John Wright and featured in Model Railway Journal number 38 as long ago as 1990, we believe that this is the first time this iconic layout has been exhibited publicly for nearly twenty years. With its host of beautifully modelled buildings and oodles of fine detail, this is one definitely not to be missed.
Brixham (EM Gauge)
The short branch from Churston to Brixham was built under the Torbay & Brixham Railway Act of 1864. Originally constructed to broad gauge standards, it became part of the Great Western Railway in 1883 and was converted to standard gauge in 1892. The line closed in the 1960s. The model portrays the line in th3 dearly 1930s.
Chewton Mendip (EM Gauge)
Chewton Mendip was a small intermediate station on the Somerset & Dorset Railway’s little known Priddy Branch. Built during the latter part of the 19th Century, the branch left the Bath Extension at Chilcompton, passing Emborough and Chewton Mendip, then on to Priddy. Never much of a success, with the residents of Priddy finding it easier to travel the shorter distance by road to Wells, the quarry at Emborough and the Brewery at Chewton Mendip provided the branch with its main traffic. As a result of economies during World War One, passenger services beyond Chewton Mendip were withdrawn, the line on to Priddy only remaining for the sheep fair and a small amount of freight.
Clutton (P4 18.83 mm gauge)
One of the iconic P4 layouts, Clutton will be retired shortly so take your chance to see it before it is too late.
Great Bardfield (P4 18.83 Gauge)
Based on a never -built branch of the Colne Valley and Halstead Railway, Great Bardfield is now 25 years old and has been exhibited well in excess of 100 times. Click here for more information about the layout.
Heybridge Wharf (3mm Finescale)
Heybridge Wharf is purely fictitious and is situated somewhere in Suffolk at one of the last inland wharfs still operating. The railway was built under the Light Railways act as the Hey Light Railway to connect the town of Heybridge to the Great Eastern Main Line via Heybridge Wharf.
Lee-on-the-Solent (P4 18.83 Gauge)
South Hants MRC
The layout was originally built by a professional model maker, Colin Hayward, as a result of taking a school party on a historical visit. It was one of the very first examples of a layout built to P4 standards and it made its debut at the South Hampshire Railway Modellers exhibition in October 1981. Colin kindly donated the layout to the East Hampshire Area Group of the Scalefour Society in 1993.
The layout today is presented around the time of (1923) allowing both LSWR and SR stock to be run. Motive power includes an ex-LBSCR D1 class tank and Terriers. All are fully compensated. Rolling stock includes Gate stock sets and various coal wagons from local merchants.
Rowington for Shrewley (OO Gauge)
A model of a fictitious station situation between Lapworth and Hatton. The period modelled is 1922, just before Grouping. A lot of older style locomotives can be seen in action. and coaches in the correct 1912 crimson lake livery.
Staindrop (7mm/ft O Gauge)
Welcome to the south west Durham countryside circa 1928. Staindrop is a large village between Darlington and Barnard Castle, but never rail served. This ‘might have been’ branch is an attempt to model the old Central Division of the North Eastern Railway but in post grouping LNER days. This allows for the first changes that were taking place under the LNER other than just the livery of the locos and coaches. The introduction of steam railcars to replace the NER autocars (push-pull) being an example. However, the pre grouping character of the branch remains with an infrastructure of pure North Eastern Railway.
Woods Wharf (0 Gauge)
South Hants MRC
Originally built by one of our late members, Stuart Woods, Woods Wharf has been completed by club members and represents a canal-side wharf.
Ynysybyl (EM Gauge)
Cardiff 4 MM Group
Within the confines of 9 feet by 13 feet the layout is a faithful replica of the prototype station and surrounding area in 1922 just prior to the Taff Vale Railway losing its independent identity at the
grouping. Rolling stock is a mixture of scratch built, kit bashed and etched brass kits and represents
the type of stock and motive power that would have been used on the branch at the time.