The joint area group
The EMGS and Scalefour Societies support a large network of Area Groups, both in the UK and abroad, through which members can keep in touch with one another and, in many cases, work together on projects.
The South Hants Area Group
The South Hants Area Group (SHAG) is independent of SHMRC although meetings are often hosted by the club. It covers the South Hampshire and West Sussex Area, from Romsey to Chichester, Portsmouth to Winchester for example.
We function as area groups for both societies, and aim to encourage finescale modellers in any scale. Our meetings are open to all local modellers, whatever scale or gauge they follow.
There are no plans to build a group layout, as we have several clubs represented in the group which cover this interest.
- An Evening with Tony Wright the well-known Modeller, former Sub-Editor and Photographer at British Railway Modelling magazine
- “Making and Finishing Coaches” An Illustrated talk and demonstration by Dave Bridges
- Building Wagon Variety from a small number of kits Duncan Redford
- A day in Sheringham West signal box – a personal view by Dave Hawkins of day in the life of a single line terminus
- In November Terry Bendall talked to a very well attended meeting on how”I did (do) it my way”. Terry has been at the forefront of S4 Modelling for many many years, in the early years he was one of the founder members of the Group that built Pulborough as featured at many shows and in the MRJ
- In January 2016, Dave Hawkins told us about the many Diesel locos and DMUs he has converted and all the extra work he has done to them.
- In July 2016 Mike Ainsworth spoke to us about convderting ready to run locomotives to finescale standards
- September 2016 saw Peter Swift talking about ‘Wadhurst, prototype and model’ at Southampton MRS
- November’s meeting wasJohn Arkell taking about ‘Permanent way – history and modelling’ at SHMRC, Fort Widley
- The June 2017 was a Tools Workshop” hosted by SHMRC Fort Widley
In October 2017 Dave Hawkins spoke on how small details can set a model in time and place
- In November 2017 Richard Butler talked about the aims and aspirations of Westcliff – the why, what and how
- A well attended meeting in January 2018 heard how Jonathan Buckie approaches design for etching and laser cutting.